This document sets out the minimum criteria to be eligible for nomination for an award of Life Membership of the Jersey Spartan Athletic Club. This award exists to recognise the valuable contribution of individuals to the current and future existence of the Club. It is therefore only to be awarded in exceptional circumstances.
Only ONE recipient should receive this award in any one year period. The Club recognises that exceptional circumstances may arise, when two worthy recipients are eligible. It will be then at the discretion of the Executive Committee how many awards are given.
It should also be recognised that Life Membership does not have to be awarded each year. In considering the award of Life Membership, an individual should have demonstrated significant, sustained and high quality service enhancing the reputation and future of the overall Club.
The points to be taken into account when considering any nomination include:
- General Considerations
- The general attitude and overall demeanour of the nominee shows a dedication to the values of the Club
- Commitment to the principals of good sportsmanship
- Valued leadership and good role modelling that reflects credit upon the Club
- Length of Service
- The length of service to the Club should be extended service of 10 years as an athlete and/or as a volunteer role with such service in either role being taken concurrently.
- Other Specific Criteria
- Specific achievement, both on and off the field, will be taken into consideration.
- Four areas of service in the Club could include: Playing; Coaching/Managing; Administration; and General Contribution (including fund-raising, supporting and other issues that a Committee may see as relevant)
Benefits of Life Membership
- Award of the Life Membership at the Jersey Spartan Athletic Club Executive Annual General meeting
- Exemption from fees associated with Jersey Spartan Athletic Club (this excludes athlete affiliation costs)
- Exemption from all costs associated with social functions organised by the club (this privilege is only extended to the Life Member-not their partner or other family members)
- Status of being a member of a select group within the club
- Listing in the club web site
- Ability to include award recognition on Curriculum Vitae
Process for Assessing Applications for Life Membership
- Nominations for Life membership may be submitted by any club member to the Executive Committee no later than 4 weeks before the AGM in each year
- Nominees should demonstrate:
- attainment of minimum service requirements
- an outstanding contribution in at least one of the four areas of service with at least some contribution in two of the other three areas or contribution deemed appropriate at the discretion of the Committee
- other details of exemplary service.
- The final list of endorsed nominations for the award of Life Membership will be submitted to Executive Committee members for agreement before the AGM. Subject to agreement by ALL Executive Committee members, Life Membership may be awarded at the next Club Annual General Meeting.
- Retraction of a Life Membership Award may occur where the recipient has conducted him/herself in a manner that reflects directly and adversely on the image or activities of the Club. This provision will only be exercised in exceptional circumstances and will require the full support of the Jersey Spartan Athletic Club Executive to be enacted. As part of the deliberations, the Life Member in question is also to be given an opportunity to present their case for retention of their Life Membership status.